Friday, November 17, 2023

Chapter Eleven

 

Chapter Eleven


“I told you I’d miss you,” Lui said cheerfully as he and Hanna walked along the road between brightly colored buildings. Longyearbyen wasn’t a large city, if one could even call it that, but it was the largest one in Svalbard. 

Hanna snorted. “Finals were last week. You haven’t had time to miss me.”

“That’s relative,” Lui said with a shrug, hands still in his pockets and arms tucked to his side. “I’m still surprised you called. Twice even.”

“I said I would, didn’t I?” she asked in mock offense.

“Yeah, but you have a habit of not answering your phone, much less actually calling someone.” Lui laughed. “You’re not exactly a people person.” 

“I’ll give you that,” Hanna agreed sullenly. 

Lui glanced over and his smile fell. They walked a little more before he spoke again. “Have things settled down at all for you since last semester?” he asked. “You were pretty stressed out.” He quickly added, “Not counting this unplanned trip, of course.”


Hanna sighed heavily, staring at the ground in front of her as she walked. “Not really,” she answered. “My grades weren’t spectacular so I haven’t decided if I’m going back next year or not. I’d say Interpol is pretty done with me at this point. So is my team at home. I got into a fight with Savannah right before I left.” 

“Your Original?” Lui asked. 

Hanna nodded. “I don’t know what I’m doing with my life, Lui. It feels like everything I touch falls apart.” 

“I dunno, you’re pretty good at this hero stuff,” Lui offered. 

Hanna frowned. “I don’t know that I like doing the hero stuff.” Lui looked at her in surprise as she continued, “The fighting, sure, that’s exhilarating! But everything else? You already said it, I don’t like people.”

“That’s not quite what I said,” Lui interjected, but Hanna kept talking. 

“I got roped into leading a team I don’t want to lead, but at the same time, I don’t want to let everyone down.” Her hands and arms moved around as she talked, clearly agitated. “I know it’s my job. Saving people is what I’m supposed to do. I’ve accepted that. If it’s in my power to protect someone, I should accept all the responsibilities that come with it. If it’s in my power to help, I have to. I just wish it felt like I had more of a choice.” 

“You always have a choice,” Lui said. 

Again, Hanna kept talking. “If I’m doing it out of obligation, does that still make me a hero? Is it right that the part I enjoy the most is taking down the bad guys? That can’t be right, but when I get in a bad spot, it’s like someone else just takes over and I-” she stopped herself. She lowered her arms and huffed, kicking a rock as they walked. “I don’t know what I’m doing. I don’t know what else I would do. Flight, ice magic, sword fighting - what am I supposed to do with that other than be a hero? I’m not good at anything else. And now I’m not even good at that. Everyone hates me.”

“No one hates you, Hanna,” Lui said softly. 

“Maybe I should join a circus,” Hanna ended with a sigh. 

Lui shook his head. “Nah, you’d scare the children,” he commented, mostly to see if she was actually listening. The glare Lui got told him she was. 

“Don’t listen to your doubts, Hanna,” Lui started. “You’re amazing. You’re good at plenty of other things. You don’t have to be some fancy hero to find ways to help people. I think you’ll find a way to help others no matter what you do. That’s just who you are. So what if you haven’t figured out what you want to do with your life yet?” Lui shrugged. “Some people spend their whole lives figuring it out. Some people figure it out right away. I haven’t figured it out yet either. That’s part of life. Don’t give up. Trust God. He’s got everything under control.” 

Hanna stared at him. “You really believe that?” she asked softly. 


“I do,” Lui answered with a nod. “I have to. It’s what keeps me going. Look, I know the world isn’t the greatest place to live in right now. It hasn’t been for a while, but that’s why it’s so important for me to hold on to the things that matter. People are good, or at least most of them are trying their best to be. Honor, courage, loyalty, faith, and love mean everything. Good always triumphs over evil. These things matter. They’re worth believing in. They’re worth fighting for.”

“You hate fighting,” Hanna commented, looking back at the ground. 

“I do,” Lui agreed. “But I’d fight for those things, if I have to. Believe me, all the darkness and evil in the world absolutely terrifies me, but I still trust Him. I still look for the light, no matter how dark it gets. The darkness can't put out the light. The best it can do is make you forget it's there.  The light’s always there, you just have to know where to look.” He smiled at her. “It’s going to be okay. Things will get better. Anything’s possible, as long as you don’t give up. You’re doing a good job.” 

“Doesn’t feel like it,” Hanna muttered, still staring at the ground. “I just feel so… lost… right now.” 

Lui nodded. “I’m sorry you’re feeling so overwhelmed and stressed out. I wish I could make it better.” He glanced at her. “I wish I had the answers you’re looking for, Hanna. I really do.” 

“I know,” Hanna said quietly. 

Lui smiled at her. “You’ll figure it out. You’ve got a good heart. Take it one day at a time. Always Hope.”

“Thanks.” Hanna finally smiled as she looked back at him. “It helps having someone that will listen.” 

“I’m always here to listen,” Lui said, slowing down his pace to a stop. “I’ll always be here for you, Hanna. Always. No matter what.” 


“Thank you.” Hanna stopped as well and turned to him. “You always know exactly what to say to make me feel better. You’re a good friend, Lu.” She smiled. “What would I do without you?” 

Lui shrugged nonchalantly, turned, and resumed walking. “Have a very boring summer in Europe, more than likely,” he answered lightly. 

“Oh, thank you for saving me from such a terrible fate by getting kidnapped,” Hanna responded with dramatic sarcasm as she rolled her eyes and followed. 

“Well, maybe someone wouldn’t have gotten kidnapped if you’d have gone with them to Iceland,” Lui said with a playful smile. 

“Didn’t realize I had an invitation.” Hanna raised an eyebrow at him. 

“Did you need one?” Lui asked, matching her expression. 

“Would have been nice,” Hanna answered, tossing her hair. 

“Then you have it. Whenever we head home, you’re more than welcome to stay and visit.” Lui grinned at her. “The sky looks way better in Iceland anyway. Not that I’m biased or anything.” 

Hanna narrowed her eyes suspiciously, but smiled back. “I’ll think about it.” She looked up at the sky as she walked, smile fading. “This isn’t how I was planning to spend my summer vacation anyway.” 

“If it’s any consolation,” Lui said softly with a smile. “I hope you do come back next year. Someone has to keep me in line.” 

Hanna shot him a half smile. “Troublemaker.” 


“Speaking of which,” Lui stopped and looked back the way they came. “Are you ready to head back yet? It’s freezing out here.” 

“Cold already?” Hanna asked with a smirk, already changing directions. 

“Well, forgive me for leaving my coat back at DJ’s apartment when Iul blasted a hole through it.” Lui laughed. He turned to see Hanna wasn’t laughing. Instead, her eyes were sad again. 

“He destroyed your home?” Hanna asked, shoulders sagging. 

Whoops. Lui shrugged. “It’s not like it was five star accommodations or anything, but… Yeah, kinda.” He watched her frown. Do something. Quick. “Hey,” Lui said suddenly. “I’ll race you to the hotel.” 

Hanna looked up, anger and sadness replaced with confusion. “What?” 

“Ready, set, GO!” Lui took off sprinting before Hanna had a chance to react. 

“Wait, what?!” Hanna ran after him. “Come back here!” 

Lui turned to see if she was following. He laughed and kept running. 

Oh, you’re not winning this one, Hanna thought with a competitive grin. She shot into the air and flew ahead. 

“HEY!” Lui shouted as she passed him and reached the hotel entrance before he did. By the time Lui made it to the door, he was wheezing. “Not… huff… fair…huff.” He collapsed on the stairs, taking large breaths of cold air while Hanna laughed. She sat next to him on the stairs, still giggling. “You were supposed to run with your feet like normal people,” Lui said as soon as he could talk without wheezing. 

“Why run when I can fly?” Hanna said with a wide smile. 

“That’s the spirit!” Lui laughed and gave her a crooked grin. “You still have an unfair advantage. Aren’t you genetically modified to be stronger and faster than normal humans anyway?” he asked, heart still racing. 

“Than a normal human my size,” Hanna responded. “That just barely puts me on par with the freakishly tall titans like you.” Hanna gestured to all of him.

“Six feet is hardly considered freakishly tall,” Lui said, rolling his eyes. “I’m sure it doesn’t help that you’re so short.” 

“I’m taller than average, thank you very much,” Hanna answered, pouting with her nose to the sky.

“The average what? Ewok?” Lui asked with a laugh. Hanna formed a snowball and threw it at him. Lui raised an arm to keep the snowball from smacking him in the face, sending snow everywhere else. Hanna and Lui both laughed again. Maybe it was the light as the sky sat in perpetual sunrise. Maybe it was being in this little town sitting on top of the world. Maybe it was providence. Lui wasn’t sure what it was as he watched Hanna’s smile reach her bright blue eyes, every doubt and worry melting away. Whatever it was, Lui was grateful for it. For a moment, time stood still. For a moment, life was wonderful and beautiful. “Okay, now I’m cold again,” Lui said as he stood up, brushing the snow off his clothes and shaking it out of his blonde hair. “You win.” Lui smiled, pulling the door open for Hanna. 

“And don’t you forget it,” Hanna said with a giggle, walking into the hotel. 

“I won’t,” Lui whispered. 



No comments:

Post a Comment