Sunday, November 12, 2023

Chapter Six


Chapter Six


The aircraft flew low over the polar ice. “Alright, we’re here,” Zhenya said in Russian. “Where’s the signal coming from?” 

Hanna looked at the small device in her hand. She shook it a few times, but the screen kept spazzing out. “It’s somewhere close, but I think there’s interference.” Hanna pulled the door open, wind whipping her long dark hair around. “Stay in the area,” Hanna said. 

“I can’t,” Zhenya answered before she could jump out. “If I do, I won’t have the fuel for a return trip.”

“Fine. Go find a place to refuel and I’ll get back with you.” Hanna jumped out, opening her black wings and landing softly on the ice. She watched the aircraft leave before looking at the device again. The green dot blinked, jumping all over the screen. Frowning, Hanna turned the device off and looked over the ice-laden horizon. Too bright. Too close to the pole. Hanna lifted into the air to get a better view. The sunlight glistened off a structure in the distance. Hanna didn’t know what it was, but it was the only clue she had. She took off for the new destination, flying as fast as her wings would carry her. 


*************************************


“...Lui… Lui, wake up…” 

Lui slowly opened his green eyes and blinked a few times. The first thing he noticed was the pain. The second thing he noticed was the cold. He shook his head and shivered. “DJ?” Lui asked. All he could see in front of him was white. Snow, ice, wind, cold. Looking down, he discovered he was sitting with his back to something metal. His arms were pinned to his sides and his hands were numb. 

“...Lui, you still there?”

“Maybe,” Lui answered with a groan. He attempted to twist around, but could not see beyond the object he was tied to. “DJ?”

“I’m here,” said the reassuring voice somewhere behind him. 

“What happened?” Lui asked. “How long was I out?” 

“I’m not exactly sure,” DJ answered. “After they dragged me out of that room, they patched up my arm and then knocked me unconscious. I woke up a few minutes ago. It took me a second to realize you were back there. What happened between you and Iul?”

Lui inhaled sharply and his eyes widened, memory coming back. “...oh no…” He frowned and hung his head. “... I….I’m so sorry DJ…”

There was a pause before DJ spoke again. “What happened?” he asked, concern growing in his voice. “What did he do?” 

Lui shook his head, not wanting to answer. “He got information out of me. I don’t know what I was thinking… He promised and I gave in and I didn’t… I didn’t mean…” Lui stopped and bit his lip, a lump forming in his throat. He took a breath and continued. “It’s all my fault. I am so sorry… I know I shouldn’t have told him anything. I didn’t… I’m not strong like-” Lui stopped again and sniffed. He looked up at the sky, resting the back of his head against the metal wall behind him. “I messed up... I’m such a-” 

“Hey, none of that,” DJ said softly. “It’s okay, Lui. Everything’s going to be okay. We just need to figure out how to get out of this. It’s not your fault. Iul knows our weaknesses and how to exploit them. We’ll deal with him later, alright? Right now, we focus on getting out of here. I need your head in the game.” 

Lui sniffed again and nodded. “Okay.” 


DJ looked up at the sky as well, mostly trying to see what they were tied to. He was in the same position as Lui, tied to the opposite side. The metal structure was wide at the base and tapered toward the top. A strange shape at the pinnacle sent a red beam of light toward the icy plane not terribly far from their current location. DJ frowned. Attacking the base, kidnapping us, weird interrogations, and now this... What’s Iul planning? DJ let out a breath, watching the steam rise as his eyebrows furrowed. He wiggled around, trying to reach any of the tools on his belt. If he had any left. 


Lui hung his head again and closed his eyes. The sun was too bright here. This was the time of year the sun would never set and the rays bouncing off the snow and ice were starting to hurt his eyes. What’s Iul going to do to Hanna? I don’t think he could do anything with the information I told him, but still… He asked a lot of weird questions… I’m so sorry Hanna… if anything happens to you because of something I told him… Lui tried not to think about it. Thinking about it only filled him with regret and made him feel worse. 


“...Lui…” 


Lui opened his eyes. Had he heard something? He thought he heard a voice, but it was definitely not DJ’s voice. He lifted his head and squinted. A black speck on the horizon grew as it approached at full speed. Lui tilted his head. 


**********************************


Hanna sped along the icy plane. As the oblong structure got closer, Hanna could see a figure sitting at the base. No longer unsure, Hanna flew faster. She pulled up to an abrupt stop directly in front of Lui, sending wind and snow into his face. “LUI!”

Lui blinked and shook his head as wind and snow hit him. He looked up to see the silhouette of a woman with black wings and long dark hair in front of him, backlit by the sun. When she leaned in, her blue eyes met his. For a second, the world stopped. “Hi, Hanna,” Lui said quietly. 


“Lui! Are you okay?!” Hanna immediately knelt next to him and worked to free him from the ropes and tape holding him in place. 

“Better, now that you’re here,” Lui said with a smile. 

Hanna paused and frowned at him, raising an eyebrow. “How hard did they hit your head?!” she asked. “You’ve got a knot the size of Texas.” She pointed to a spot on her own head before continuing to free him. When one arm was free, Lui reached up to his head and hissed in pain when he felt the lump. “Oww.” 

Hanna stood up and offered her hand. “Can you stand?” 

“I think so.” Lui reached up and grabbed her arm. She pulled him to his feet, having to fly back to get the right leverage. As soon as he stood up, his head spun. 

“You good?” Hanna asked, waiting to make sure he didn’t fall over when she let go. 

“I think so,” Lui said, the world slowly stabilizing as his head cleared. He looked at her. Were her cheeks pink? “Y-yeah, I’m okay.” 


A sudden sneeze filled the silence. “DJ?!” Hanna flew around to the other side of the structure. 

“Still here,” DJ answered with a smile as Hanna worked on the ropes and tape holding him in place. 

“It was definitely your Evil Other that did this to you two, right?” Hanna asked, finally pulling off the rest of the tape. 

“Yep. That’s him all right,” DJ answered as Lui helped him stand. 

“Any idea what he’s planning?” Hanna asked. 

“Not a clue,” DJ answered. He stared up at the beam of red light and pointed at it. “That can’t be good though.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment