Thursday, September 12, 2024

Chapter Seventy-Three


Chapter Seventy-Three


Hanna placed a few extra branches into the fire as quietly as possible, trying not to wake DJ. She readjusted the mirror, still unable to see much beyond the glass. It was too dark and the glare of the firelight did not help. She could not tell how long they waited at the castle ruins, but it was much longer than she would have preferred. If I’d have known they were going to take this long, I would have taken a nap back at the cabin. Not finding anything else useful to do to distract herself, Hanna moved back to her watch point just outside the shelter. The question about humanity and thoughts of the cabin reminded her of the conversation with Ace. She thought back on Jester’s words about Evil Others as well. “Did you really mean what you said about freedom?” she asked. 

EDJ blinked at her. “I said a lot of things, oh mighty captor. You’re gonna have to remind me.” 

“The part about not running,” she explained. “About not hiding that I’m an Evil Other. Do you think it’s possible for the world to live with that? Could they see that I’m still trying to choose good in spite of it? Or is freedom only possible inside a hierarchy of villainy in which I choose evil?” 

EDJ again blinked at her. “I think I’m the wrong person to be answering these questions…” 

“Oh, now you don’t think I have the power to be evil?” Hanna questioned with a raised brow. 

“You have the potential, but you lack conviction,” he answered. “For good or evil. You’re a lukewarm, mediocre in-between who can’t decide one way or the other. You don't have the power to suppress what evil you do have and the evil you have doesn’t have the power to stay in control. It’s a moot point.” He sounded annoyed. 


Hanna smiled a little. “You expect me to believe you’ve given up so easily?” she asked. “What about all that false flattery you fed me back there?”

“Seriously?!” EDJ physically turned to her as much as he was able to. “That was all to get you to believe that you truly had evil in you. Self-motivation is one of the most powerful convincing tools I have!” Seeing her blank face, he continued. “You do realize that was my actual job, right? I turn heroes for a living. I lure them in with flowers, chocolates, and promises I have no intention of keeping. I’m supposed to make evil look cruelly attractive. If a hero doesn’t turn, I eliminate them. That’s why I was the one hired for this particular task. I have a fifty percent success rate, by the way. The other fifty percent are the dead heroes that didn’t make it through the traps.” 

Hanna’s suspicion softened, but did not immediately melt away. “That’s it?” she persisted. “You’re not after anything else with your powers of persuasion?”

EDJ let out an exasperated breath. “I’m good at what I do, princess, and I don’t do it for free. You were nothing more than a paycheck... A hefty one at that.”

“Hey!” Hanna folded her arms, insulted.

“That’s a good thing!” EDJ said, miffed. “My point is, it was my actual job. I pay taxes and everything.” 

Hanna raised her eyebrows and almost laughed in disbelief. “You pay taxes?” she asked, clearly not buying it. 

“Duh.” EDJ rolled his eyes. “Even I know better than to get caught with federal tax evasion. That's only the second cardinal rule of every single organization of evil in existence ever.”

“What's the first rule?” she asked curiously. 

“Don't get caught.” 


Hanna snickered. “It seems you have a habit of breaking things.” 

“Only rules,” he responded casually. “And laws... And wills... And hearts, occasionally.”

She shook her head with a sneer of disgust and disapproval. “You're despicable.”

“I can't help evil is so alluring. It comes with the territory,” he said in his usual self-justified tone. “Can you imagine how much harder my job would be if I weren't at least a little bit charming?” 

Hanna coughed uncomfortably and cleared her throat. “I think I threw up a little...”

EDJ scoffed. “Hey, considering how quickly you initially raced out here to confront me by yourself, that says way more about you than it does about me.”

Hanna grimaced. She adjusted to lean against the outside wall of the shelter. “That’s such an oddly specific skill to have too. How do you even figure out that’s something you’re good at?” she asked. 

“I broke a few things,” EDJ answered in a low voice. He watched Hanna, who still seemed on the fence about whether or not anything he told her was truth or lie. “I don’t know what else to tell you, frosty,” he started. “You’re not special. If that’s not the answer you were looking for, I am sorry to disappoint you.” He smirked. “Aside from that, something tells me your icy heart is already spoken for by someone far less interesting.” 

She stared directly ahead and spoke in an unattached, businesslike tone. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

Only the obvious. He sighed and asked the one question she would take seriously. “How’s Lui?”

Hanna turned and glared at him. Curiously, there wasn’t as much anger in her eyes as there was pain. “Don’t pretend like you care.” 

EDJ attempted a smile that ended up more of a half grin, face long since completely numb with the cold. “He is still my Other. I don’t hate the guy. Well, maybe a little…” Maybe a lot. “Regardless, I don’t wish him dead.” Again she looked like she didn’t believe him, even though that part was fact. “Why do you care so much about him anyway?” he asked. 

“Sentimental value,” she answered coldly, turning away again. “He is my friend.”

“Do you treat all your friends with such fierce loyalty?” he pressed.

Hanna’s voice still sounded detached. “You seem to be implying something again.”

“I am trying to understand,” he said simply. “I want to know what you see in him. Purely to satisfy my own curiosity, of course.” He attempted another polite smile. 


What did she see in Lui? Hanna wrapped her arms around her legs and looked up at the stars in thought. For some reason, it wasn’t a question she really stopped and considered before. Not in any great length. “Peace,” she answered quietly. “Joy. Patience. Compassion. Lui is content. He doesn’t try to prove he’s better than anyone. He doesn’t hurt people or put them down. He builds them up. He is excited by life and wants to share that with everyone he meets. He’s not afraid of trying new things or making the wrong decisions. I can talk to him about anything and he’ll listen. I can trust him. He is open and honest and genuine. Lui is…” Her face scrunched in thought as she searched for the right word. A word she could use that would offer the highest compliment she could give to his character. If there was an exact word, it eluded her, so she said the only word that came to mind. “...safe.”

EDJ paused, waiting for more information. When there wasn’t any, he asked, “That’s it?” How incredibly boring. 

She shot another glare at him. “Lui doesn’t go around kidnapping people to make himself feel better.” To make sure he got the message, she added, “Unlike some people I know.” She leaned back against the wall and took out the little bracelet from her pocket. 

“Pfft,” EDJ snorted while rolling his eyes. “You mean he’s harmless, that’s all.” He frowned. “Being harmless isn’t a virtue.” 

“Kindness is,” Hanna said softly, twisting the green and black thread of the bracelet between her fingers. “After everything I’ve done... After all the trouble I put him through… All Lui’s ever been to me is kind.” Fresh tears ran down her cheek. Stupid tears! Stop crying! She sniffed and wiped her face as quickly as possible, hoping EDJ did not notice. 


EDJ raised an eyebrow, noticing. Wow, that’s really sappy. “He’s a Christmas rom-com with less flannel,” he said, still trying to comprehend why anyone would be attracted to such a thing. He shook his head. “Being weak isn’t noteworthy. Now, being a monster and not acting on it, well…” He paused with a smug smile. “That’s another story entirely.” 

Hanna stood up to face him, clearly furious again. “You want applause for showing restraint?” she asked. 

“Not necessarily,” he answered calmly. “But a pat on the back every now and then would be nice.” 

“That’s just being a decent human being,” she said, still glaring. “You should try it sometime.” 

EDJ gave her a perplexed look. “I expected a little more empathy from you. You know exactly what it’s like to hold back a monster.” 

Hanna looked away with a grimace. “The world could use less monsters,” she muttered, returning to her spot by the wall. “Controlled or otherwise.” She put the bracelet on her wrist and adjusted it so it would stay in place. 

“Hmm,” he hummed in disagreement. “There you and I differ. There are far too many sheep for my liking and wolves get hungry.” Hanna hugged her knees again, trying to ignore EDJ as he continued speaking. “If you aren’t capable of cruelty, you’ll always be on the receiving end of anyone who is.” He gave a halfhearted smile. “The truths they don’t teach in Sunday school.” 


Hanna’s glare softened. Something in his tone tugged at her. She turned and watched him with new eyes, searching for the hidden undercurrent driving all his words and actions. EDJ saw the strange and somewhat sympathetic look she was giving him. “What’s that?” he asked with amusement. “Feeling sorry for me?” 

Her head snapped away and her voice held its icy edge again. “As if anyone could feel sorry for a heartless monster like you.” 

EDJ laughed a dry, hollow, empty laugh. “Don’t worry,” he assured. “I have no plans to use Lui against you again. Your secret’s safe with me.” His voice shifted as it took on a more serious note. “You do realize how obvious your affection for him is, right? Even Lui’s not that clueless.” Hanna’s cheeks were pink, but she remained silent. “A bit of advice, unsolicited as it may be,” EDJ continued. “If you have the chance to be truly happy, take it before someone else takes it from you.”

“What's that supposed to mean?” Hanna eyed him suspiciously. “Is that a threat?”

Forget it. EDJ sighed. “You think everything’s a threat.”


No comments:

Post a Comment